On 1/15/2011 2:48 AM, Paul wrote:
These user type questions are best handled by the user list. Have forwarded
it there.

/paul

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: yogesh parmar<yogesh_parm...@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Sat, Jan 15, 2011 at 4:58 AM
Subject: openoffice 3
To: users-ow...@openoffice.org

*Dear Sir/Madam,*

Those who see these messages are volunteers who want to help other users like themselves -- no formality is required. :-)

Just recently began to have difficulty with a fellow recipient who also uses
openoffice 3 in opening my *ODF* documents when I send it as an attachment
via e-mail, and they cannot open the file.

    - *Could you please kindly advise me what I can do to over overcome this
    when sending ODF documents as e-mail attachments so the recipient can open
    it..?*

I can think of three possibilities here, there may be others. One, the selection to automatically append the extension (e.g., .odt) to your documents may have been from your saved file. In that case, you'll need to reselect it. Two, the recipient may need to reestablish the "file association" for the ODF filetypes to point to OpenOffice.org. This can generally be done by right-clicking on a file and selecting Open With, then browsing to soffice.exe; selecting the option to always use this program will let this be done only once for each type of file. Three, you may have saved the document with password protection (although the recipient would probably have asked you about this directly).

If the recipient also has Microsoft Office 2007 SP2 or later, or Office 2010, that provides some level of support for ODF formats. If the file associations lead there, there could be problems with interoperability, although they should not result in an inability to open the files.

    - *Also if I wanted to save a openoffice document as a text, and not a
    ODF, thus how can I do this..?*

To save in non-ODF formats, choose File > Save As, then select the appropriate filetype from the dropdown. Again, make sure that the automatic file extension is selected.

Greatly appreciate your kind assistance, and I look forward to receiving
your trouble shooting tips with aforementioned kind request.

*Kind Regards,*
*Mr. Yogesh Parmar.*