On 1/15/2011 3:13 PM, Susan W. Dunn wrote:
Hello,
This might very well be a Styles question, but I'm not exactly sure how
to apply Styles.

I downloaded Open Office 3.2 from Linux Mint 9 and when I installed it
wanted to default the font and font size to Times New Roman and size 12
on Writer.

My problem involves the quotation marks.  If I convert a document from
another font, I get the standard "curly" quote marks instead of the
"mouseteeth".  These are not exactly the type of "mouseteeth" quotes
avaialable with say, Courier.  BUT when I open a blank or "New" text
document and begin typing speech (quotations), I do not get the "curly"
quote marks even though the document default font says Times New
Roman.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to begin/or re-setup Office
Writer so that the font remains as it should be consistently?

Many thanks.

Susan Dunn

Tools > AutoCorrect Options, Localized Options tab has the settings that are being used when you type a quotation mark; in this case, you probably need to select the Replace option for double quotes, making sure that the characters shown are U+201C and U+201D. Both styles of quotes are included in the Times New Roman font, and when the quotes are already "curly" they have the right character values, but when you're creating the text, you get the straight quotes that are the same before and after the quoted text.