On 1/15/11 4:12 PM, James Greenidge wrote:
On 1/14/11 8:47 AM, Lance wrote:
I find this true on my MacBook running Leopard. It leaves a question marked shaded screen when you attempt to paste a video file in. It also happens when you load an old doc with a video insert which was created and played perfectly well in Tiger and Panther. Even MS Office eats it up. This is definitely a OOO 3.0 bug. Bummer multimedia.

Unlike OOo 3.0-3.3, NeoOffice Write 3.1.2 does play QT mov files in 10.5.8 but does not save them as mov embedded documents. I have some ancient OOo 2.2 documents with embedded QT movs created in 10.3.9 and they'll play in OOo 3.0+ under 10.5.8 and 10.4.11 and even duplicate perfectly. The Catch-22 is if you want to use OOo to run (not create) documents with embedded unlinked mov's you have to use OOo 2.4+ but ONLY in 10.4.1-10.4.11 because OOo 2.0+ doesn't run in 10.5.8 since that doesn't do the Linux BSD thing. Apparently NeoOffice avails an earlier version of OOo that does run QT mov's embedded in documents without that issue in 10.5.8, but it'll still only run via Links which the menu bar doesn't feature a "de-link" option and you (at least I) still can't create QT mov embedded documents in 10.4.11 or 10.5.8. A small industry using movie and TV video clips in documents for narrated films and visual novels is springing up that dispenses with mere captions and so I expect this blend of text and media will become more attractive and demanded by the YouTube generation. This why it pays to partition your HD; you could run 10.5.8 or 10.6.6 and still have 10.3.9 available to create QT embedded documents with OOo 2.0+ while waiting for OOo to fix this issue in OOo 3.0+.
Sorry, I really don't need the wait or hassle when MS Office does it no fuss or bother even though I have to mess with the registry some and OpenOffice won't read-play them either but o just chuck it.