On Thu, 2011-01-20 at 12:11 +0000, FRANCES & MICHAEL wrote:
> Hi there forum members!
> I am a mathematics teacher. I am trying to construct a mathematics website
> and I am trying to produce my own worksheets. I would like to use the Open
> Office Mathematics program for these tasks but, unfortunately, I do not
> understand how to use it at all well. There are 3 initial questions that I
> would like to ask for someone's help with because I cannot work the answers
> out for myself:
> What does, for example,  A9 mean?How do I create a power of a number?How do I
> create a fraction?If anyone can help me, I would be most grateful.
> Michael Neillis

Here is another answer to your questions from this mailing list:

A9 is a cell reference in column/row format.  If you prefer, X/Y format.

Powers are created using ^.  So, squared is n^2, cubed is n^3, etc.

Fractional numbers are entered using /.  12/24, for example.  However,
as fractions are reduced to simplest form, 12/24 would display as 1/2.
This may not be desirable, depending on what age the students are.

--
 Regards  _
To the ends of the earth, you look for sense in it