I'm a recent convert to Open Office. I have version 1.1.4 installed on a
Toshiba Satellite that's running Microsoft XP SP2 and I'm having a problem with
crashes in the word module. T

These are examples of crashes in certain circumstances. The crashes happen not
always, but often:

1 - I have 2 text documents open and toggle between the two. Because I'm doing
office work at home, some of the documents are in Open Office format, some are
in Word format. The usual scenario is the first document saves OK, but saving
the second either causes a crash or, if I save in in Word format, it will often
save. But when I try to close down the document, clicking OK on the dialog box
about saving in an external format sometimes produces a crash.

2 - Saving a long file in Word format can produce either of the scenarios
above, either crashing while it's saving or crashing after clicking OK on the
dialog box. It's also happened in Open Office format.

3 - Last night, I was working through the help file looking for something
pertaining to searching and replacing when Open Office crashed.

A friend who formerly worked in tech support for a computer manufacturer asked
me if had Microsoft Office installed on this computer. It has a crippled
version of Office 2003 that I've not activated, but he said he understood there
could be a compatibility problem with dll files. I've tried uninstalling Open
Office, then reinstalling from a new download, but that didn't help.

Any suggestions or guidance would be appreciated.