On 1/28/2011 9:04 AM, Dotan Cohen wrote:
Sorry for the late reply, I am in the middle of too many things!

Start with a new document and type in the necessary boilerplate.
Check.

  Insert the
fill-in fields with the desired formatting and default answers. (i.e.
underlining, etc.)
Here I got lost. Could you be more specific? From where does one
insert the fill-in fields? Certainly not from Insert->Field, which is
a completely different usage of the term "field".
Try Insert>Field>Other.  Set the format. (i.e. text, general, etc.) Display
(view)the field shading, select the field, and underline it.

In the dialogue box I suppose that I should be on the Variables tab,
as that is the only one with "text" and "general". I add a new
variable, but I do not see how to either format it or get it to
stretch the length of the page.

Thank you for being patient with me. I am not a novice OOo user, but
this exercise is beyond me and I've spend quite some time googling
too.

Try this!
I drew a line using the drawing tools at the bottom of the window, stretching it the width of the available text (I did not try the across whole page). I then copied the line. Every time I did an enter I could just paste a line and it would draw at that line as an underline. I would then select the line and "anchor" the line to the page. After that all the text could be moved down a line if I added a line above, but the lines would not move, nor disappear.
Does this help?  If you need a better explanation let me know!!!

You could actually do the first line and copy it, then hit
enter, paste, "anchor"
enter, paste, "anchor"
enter, paste, "anchor"
etc, ...
and completely fill the page with lines.  Then add text as you wish

Tom

--
 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?  -- Decimus Iunius Iuvenalis (Juvenal), Roman
Poet, late 1st, early 2nd century AD