On Sat, 29 Jan 2011 08:42:17 -0000, "Robin Beveridge"
<robin.beveri...@talktalk.net> wrote Re [users] [moderated] Time
values in Base:

>Hi,
>
>I'm trying to develop a simple database to record results of swimming races.
>I am trying to establish a field to record times as minutes, seconds,
>hundredths - I've set the field type to TIME and the Format to MM:SS.00, but
>when I enter data (e.g. 1:23.45) the table automatically rounds to the nearest
>second (e.g. 1:23.00).  Am I missing something obvious to stop this happening?
>
>More broadly, I am slightly puzzled that Base - and probably SQL, though I'm
>unfamiliar with it - treats all Time values as points in time, whereas for
>many purposes 'Time' values actually refer to duration.  I'm not sure if this
>has any practical implications as I'm just starting out, but conceptually, I
>will want to add and subtract times and possibly other operations (say, %
>reduction in personal best time for race X needed to achieve national
>qualification standard), and all of these sit better mathematically treating
>Time values as durations rather than points in time.
>
>I ramble, sorry.
>
>Hope you can help.
>
>Robin

Just a guess here, but you may find it easier to create another field
that is the time duration as a real number, e.g 1:23.45  =1x60 +23
+.45 = 83.45

I don't know anything about Base, but it seems logical to me that Time
values should be treated as points in time, rather than a
time-duration.  That may be the only way Base handles Time. If that's
the way Base works, then you might try to create a text-field to
handle the 1:23.45, and a real number field to handle the equavilent
83.45.