I'm using OO 3.2 on Linux Ubuntu 10.04.
 The test document is in ODF format (.odt).

 I want to set an arbitrary starting number for a page, starting at
 the second page of the document where the first page is a title
 page and has a different page style from the second and following
 pages.

 I have followed these instructions:
 """
 use Insert-> Fields-> Other.
 On the Fields window select the Variables tab.
 Under Type select  Set page variable  then under 'selection'
 click  'on' in the Offset box and enter 60 .
 Under Type, again, click on Show page variable.
 This time under Format click on  Arabic (1 2 3).
 Then click the  Insert  button at the bottom of
 the window.
 """
Alas, no page number is visible. However, if I look at the "Edit"
menu item, I see "Undo:Insert Field" has active. Can it be that
something is keeping the numbers from being visible. If so, nothing
is revealed if I activate "Nonprinting characters"

Just a comment also:
Seems very strange to me that when you choose
Insert->Fields->Page Number,
that there can't be an option to choose the starting number.

Anyway any and all help is welcome. Thanks.
--
Tim
tim at johnsons-web.com or akwebsoft.com