Some people may remember a discussion a little while ago about a
mysterious problem I had with PDFs made by Openoffice.

> Wherever there is an en rule (the short dash used in a span of
> numbers: Unicode 2013), in the PDF it takes the shape of (or is
> replaced with) a dash (Unicode 2014), though it retains the spacing of
> the narrower character, so that the dash runs through the following
> character. Everything is fine in the original Openoffice document: it
> happens only when it’s exported as a PDF. And the result is the same
> whether I export directly from within Openoffice or print to file as
> Postscript and then create the PDF with ps2pdf.

(I should add that I later found the opposite problem also: en rules
being substituted for dashes.)

I have done some further poking around in fonts (with Fontforge), and I
have found what seems to be the problem. Inside a font file, each
character is identified by number (Unicode) and also by name (usually
from the Adobe Glyph Names List). (I’m not entirely clear why this is
so: I think different applications use either the name or the number.)
The dash has the name emdash and the number 2014. If I change the name
to one of the alternative name formats, in this case uni2014, and
recompile the font, everything works perfectly.

Whether this fault lies fundamentally with the Adobe names, with
Fontforge, with Openoffice or somewhere else I do not know, but for the
moment I don’t care!