I'm using Open Office Writer 3.2 on Mint 10 (ubuntu 10).
For the life of me, I can not make a page number field visible in a
header.

Example: With the cursor in the main body of the document:
Insert-> Fields-> Other->Variables(tab).
Under 'Type' select 'Set page variable'
Under 'Selection'
  Click  'on' in the Offset box and enter 1 less than the desired starting page
number.
Click 'Insert'
Under 'Type', again, click on 'Show page variable'
  Under 'Format' click on
   'As page Style'
Click 'Insert'
Click 'Close'
and I see a page number at the top of the page.
But if I do the same in the header I see a small
gray area highlighted in the header, but no number is visible!
NOTE: Text typed in is visible.
I can also see by backtracking in Edit->Undo that two
fields were inserted. *But* it is just not visible.

How can I correct this?
thanks
--
Tim