The nightmare continues, I've had this problem with every document
that I have worked on. I have had nothing but trouble with this.
FYI: I am a programmer, not well-versed in Office Technology, I do
not use Open Office myself, I am attempting to do this for my wife.
I have OO 3.3 on my computer with ubuntu 10.04, OO 3.2 on my wife's
computer also with ubuntu 10.04.

The goal is as follows: Create a header for each page in any number
of documents. Pages will all have the same style. Each page will
have a header. There will be text in the header left-aligned. There
must be page numbering in the header that is right-aligned. The page
numbering will have an arbitrary starting value.

I have posted this topic before. I have received instructions. They
worked for the first document that I operated. Subsequent documents
have been problematic. This problem needs to be solved, without a
lot of instruction in theory, since my time to devote to this issue
is limited.

First, what is done intitially:
A header is created by Insert->Header and checking the Page style.
Text is typed or pasted in at the left.
A field is inserted as follows:
Insert->Fields->Other->Set Page Variable (Tab) with Selection set to
"on", offset is entered, and the "Insert" button is clicked. Then,
in the same tab the "Show Page Variable" is selected and "As Page
Style" is selected (if not highlighted) and the "Insert" button is
clicked.

In all cases a highlighted field shows but the number is not
visible. In some cases, I have saved and closed the document and the
number is visible when the document is re-opened. And it is good. In
other cases after saving and closing, the page numbers may be
visible, but the format be  wrong, text all over the place, numbers
in the wrong place, and if I try to edit anything, the numbers
disappear! I believe that there is something that needs to be done
with the formatting of the header, but haven't a clue as to what to
do.

If someone can point me to a reliable solution first, and then point
me to the theoretical aspects, I think that would be the best
course.

I've dearly appreciated the support that I have received on this
list. Everything I know about OO, I owe to you folks, but this is
the last item (I think) to enable me to reformat 18 documents
inherited from a 15-year old Word format.

TIA
--
Tim
tim at johnsons-web dot com or akwebsoft dot com