Tim,

I'm not an OpenOffice expert, and I only work on Windows XP platform.  I'm a
technical editor and have run across all sorts of aggravating issues in Word
(converted from all versions of Word, WordPerfect, PDF, etc.).  One way that
solves most formatting issues such as this is:

1.  Open/create a blank document with any desired styles and save it.

2.  Open the file containing the offending formatting.

3.  Copy the text (in groups or entirety, depending on the document length
and complexity).

4.  Paste it as unformatted text into the new file.

5.  Apply styles and formatting as needed.

I've had good luck with this technique, although occasionally, some
invisible quirks may remain, but generally, they're invisible and don't
visibly affect the document.

Good luck!

Dottie