Hi,

On 18.03.2011 12:56, Andrew Douglas Pitonyak wrote:

> Question posed here:
>
> http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?p=418838
>
> Stated as follows:
>
> I write in four languages, sometimes I use more than one language in the
> same document.
> The spellcheckers of the languages used do work. But there are several
> deficiencies to the language selection mechanism which I explain by
> examples:
>
> The immediately visible language list starts with the language of the OO
> Installation i.e.German (Germany) which you cannot change. Then there is
> the language of your area, in my case German (Switzerland).

See item 1.1.3 in
http://specs.openoffice.org/appwide/linguistic/Set_Language_Attribute_for_Text.odt
about how the entries of the menu are chosen.

> If I want to change to US English, I have to browse from Australia via
> another 12 counties before I get to US English.

Shouldn't be necessary, after all en-US is ALWAYS part of the menus in
the language status bar control and the 'Tools/Language/For ...' menus...

> Now I select a paragraph or an arbitrary chunk of text and want this to
> be Italian. So I click "More" and what a surprise: I am offered the menu
> to select a font. So temporarily I have to select Italian for the whole
> document in order to spellcheck the Italian part. After that I want to
> continue in English, but English has been replaced by Italian in the
> immediately visible list. So again I have to click “More” and then again
> I browse from Australia to the US.

Either this is a user problem (I just checked with OOO 3.2.1 and
everything works as expected), or the user simply ran into the 'maximum
of 7 language entries' restriction that is listed in 1.1.3 (see above
document link).

> [b]I propose:[/b]
> - Let the user define an immediately visible list of languages of his
> choice.
> - Repair the problem with the selection of paragraphs and other text
> selections and doing so
> - offer the possibility to change language “From here to the Begin” and
> “From here to the End”.

For feature request (or changes to feature) please file an issue and set
it to 'request for enhancement'.

The easiest request to implement that should be able to solve the
problem would be that the maximum number of entries to be displayed in
the menus should be user-configurable.

Regards,
Thomas