On 04/08/2011 02:15 PM, openoffice.mbou...@spamgourmet.com wrote:
RA Brown - rabr...@the-martin-byrd.net wrote:
Paul wrote:

Snipped what Paul wrote.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: *Doug* <dmcgarr...@optonline.net <mailto:dmcgarr...@optonline.net>>
Date: Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 5:53 PM
Subject: Fwd: extra cells and other distortions
To: users-requ...@openoffice.org <mailto:users-requ...@openoffice.org>

I am forwarding this message to the list with the attachment. The
attachment opens perfectly in Quattro Pro X4 on the Windows 7 machine.
I am normally working with PCLINUXOS and OO version 3.2.1. (On a
different desktop.) As you can see, there are extra cells shown above the
normal display, and bold lines on the last two columns to the right at
the top of the spreadsheet. This always happens when I receive this
semi-monthly schedule. I don't know what generated the file, but the
odds are excellent that it was a Microsoft product. I must assume that
this is a bug, and I forward it to you for your attention and cure, if
possible.

PS: I wish OO hadn't decided to try and emulate M/S. Corel products
are much nicer. If I could have Word Perfect here, I would! I would
cheerfully buy it.

--doug

Snipped unneeded text.

Just tried the file with several programs, under Ubuntu 10.10 and Win7.
LibO, OOo, Gnumeric, and Zoho web service all show the same thing, 6
empty rows at the top and the borders under the heading of the last two
columns.

The strange thing is that the above is also shown in Excel under Win7.
To me there does not seem to be any problem with the way the sheet is
displayed on the non-MS programs.

Also MS Excel 2003 on Windows XP shows 6 blank lines above the table, and the border under the heading of the last two columns is bold.

From this and RA Brown's reply, it appears that at least two versions MS Excel, plus several other applications, render it this way. What makes you think this is not how the file is formatted? The blank lines could be intentional, as a quick and easy way to place the table more centrally on the page. The bold line on the last two columns may also be intentional, or may be a formatting mistake on the author's part.

Mark.

Well, it certainly looks "wrong," and Quattro Pro X4 shows it just like you would expect it to look, without the problems I complain about. I will have to get back to the sender of the file, and find out what program he used to create it. I have also seen copies posted at the church by the creator of the file, and they also look "right," so there is something strange going on here. I assumed that there was a bug in OO, but that seems not to be the case, at the moment. I figured if it was a bug, the OO devs would like to know. I can, of course, use the data in the botched-up output, or, as I have actually done, copied the file to Quattro and printed it. I will follow up
on this and report back to the list.
--doug

--
Blessed are the peacemakers...for they shall be shot at from both sides. --A.
M. Greeley