Pierre wrote:
Clearly there is no easy way to connect OpenOffice base (Ubuntu) to a
mysql database. I have been stuffing about for days and am about to give
up.

The direct connector does not work, right? I mean, I KNOW I am entering
the right parameters but all I get is "The Connection Could not be
established"

I then spent the next 10 hours reading up on JDBC. AFAIK everything I
need including the appropriate connector is installed. All I get is
"Invalid Driver Class". So why does OOo give me a default value when it
is invalid. WHat is a "Valid Driver" class? The wiki and help file are
no help.

Given that in another office suite it takes seconds to connect to almost
any database, shouldn't we be concerned that the OOo approach to db
connectivity remains so counter intuitive, arcane and archaic?

Maybe I should have posted this in disc...@openoffice.org?

Anyway, back to Windows and MS Office so I can actually get on with
it... <sigh>

No magic needed. Install the extension at http://www.documentfoundation.org/contribution/

HTH