Hermann Vogelstein wrote:
What do you think caused the problem and what can I do to fix it? Since I'm unable to open Open Office, I can't update it from inside the program. Should I go to the website and download the latest version, which is designed to work with Windows 7? If so, do in need to uninstall the old version first, or will the download automatically upgrade or replace the existing version? The version on my computer was probably originally downloaded onto my old laptop over a year ago; according the Readme, it appears to be version 3.2.

You shouldn't copy apps from one computer to another. Always do a fresh install. Until recently, you could download the latest version from www.openoffice.org, but that seems to not be avaiable at the moment. You could also try LibreOffice www.libreoffice.org which is a forked version of OpenOffice.org. And yes, you should delete the old version. This normally isn't necessary, but since you copied rather than installing it, you may experience problems.