On Thu, 28 Apr 2011 22:25:47 -0300
Ariel Constenla-Haile <ariel.constenla.ha...@googlemail.com> dijo:

>Hello John,
>
>On Thursday 28 April 2011, 20:09, John Jason Jordan wrote:
>> On Thu, 28 Apr 2011 16:24:01 -0300
>>
>> Ariel Constenla-Haile <ariel.constenla.ha...@googlemail.com> dijo:

>> >openoffice.org-ure- is the a wrong package name, it won't match when
>> >excluding. The following line works fine:
>> >
>> >exclude=openoffice.org-ure
>>
>> Thanks for the suggestion, but it still does not exclude the
>> package. I have tried:
>>
>> exclude=openoffice.org-ure
>> exclude=openoffice.org-ure*
>> exclude=openoffice.org-ure-
>> exclude=openoffice.org-ure-*
>> exclude=openoffice.org-ure-1:3.3.3.0-20.5.fc14(x86_64)
>>
>> In addition to the original exclude line that has been there for a
>> long time:
>>
>> exclude=openoffice.org*
>>
>> And the Software Update utility still shows:
>>
>> openoffice.org-ure-1:3.3.3.0-20.5.fc14(x86_64)
>>
>> As available for update.
>
>this is quite strange, I only have this line and works fine:
>
>exclude=openoffice.org-ure
>
>on the PC, where I install dev-builds (3.4), and the ure package is
>the only one that conflicts in version mumber.
>
>On the notebook I have this line only:
>
>exclude=openoffice*
>
>and also works fine (Fedora 14, OOo 3.3).
>Try if it works leaving only that line.

OK, I am figuring something out here, except I'm not sure exactly how
it works. Apparently the /etc/yum.conf file can contain only a certain
number of exclude lines, and maybe they have to be in a certain order.
Or something.

I actually have two things I want to exclude: One is anything relating
to OOo, and the other is anything related to VLGothic fonts (for
Japanese).

I've tried all kinds of exclude lines, and no combination can seem to
exclude everything. For years I had just:

exclude=openoffice.org*

Then I added just a few days ago:

exclude=VLGothic-fonts-*

After adding the VLGothic line is when the Software Update GUI started
showing me the openoffice.org-ure package. My current theory is that
it reads only the last exclude line and disregards all exclude lines
before it. Here is the exact total of my /etc/yum.conf file:

-------
[main]
cachedir=/var/cache/yum
keepcache=0
debuglevel=2
logfile=/var/log/yum.log
exactarch=1
obsoletes=1
gpgcheck=1
plugins=1
installonly_limit=3

#  This is the default, if you make this bigger yum won't see if the
metadata # is newer on the remote and so you'll "gain" the bandwidth of
not having to # download the new metadata and "pay" for it by yum not
having correct # information.
#  It is esp. important, to have correct metadata, for distributions
like # Fedora which don't keep old packages around. If you don't like
this checking # interupting your command line usage, it's much better
to have something # manually check the metadata once an hour
(yum-updatesd will do this). # metadata_expire=90m

# PUT YOUR REPOS HERE OR IN separate files named file.repo
# in /etc/yum.repos.d

#exclude=openoffice.org*
#exclude=openoffice.org-ure*
#exclude=openoffice.org-ure-1:3.3.3.0-20.5.fc14(x86_64)
#exclude=VLGothic-fonts-*
exclude=openoffice*
exclude=VLGothic*
-------

And with the above settings the Software Update utility presents me
with the openoffice.org-ure package, but not the VLGothic fonts package.
If I reverse the last two exclude lines it shows me the VLGothic fonts
package, but not the openoffice.org-ure package.

So perhaps there is a bug in the way the Software Update utility reads
the file, or in Yum, or someplace. Or maybe I need to change a setting
somewhere to make it respect all the exclude lines. Or something else
is wrong.

At this point I think I need to take this to the Fedora forums, but if
anyone can shed any light on the way the exclude lines work
in /etc/yum.conf, I'd be delighted to know.