Helen wrote:
Thanks but I had tried that. I did that, then said black line/border
down center,
but then when I turn the page back to Portrait, the columns change to
portrait as well.
(I want to divide the page horizontally, but my typing will still be in
portrait mode.)

And to RA, I had actually tried that first -- but I keep getting it slightly
off.  Maybe this question isn't as simple as I thought it was.

Sorry to say that I am really confused. You are wanting your word to go from top to bottom in Portrait layout but you want to lay a line down the center of the page but in Landscape layout.

One thing to realize is that columns are a page attribute so change according to the page layout. Putting columns on a Landscape page then going to Portrait the columns still go up and down the page.

Andy