Hello Dale,

On Sat, Sep 17, 2011 at 08:28:15PM -0500, Dale Erwin wrote:
> On 9/17/2011 5:38 PM, Brian Barker wrote:
> >At 14:28 17/09/2011 -0500, Dale Erwin wrote:
> >>I have defined some custom paragraph styles in a loop so that I can
> >>enter several similar paragraphs without having to stop and format
> >>each one as I go. Some of them are normal and some of them are bold.
> >>One of them is in a larger point size and different typeface. As I
> >>type in my information, every time I press the Enter key, the next
> >>line begins the new paragraph and it is reflected in the highlighted
> >>paragraph style name in the Styles window, however, it always carries
> >>with it the same font characteristics of the previous paragraph,
> >>regardless of what is defined in the style for this paragraph.
> >
> >I cannot reproduce what you describe,

neither can I.
I tested with a set of custom paragraph styles, using the "Next Style"
feature in the "Organizer" tab, when editing each style.

> >so perhaps there is something else
> >that you are doing. I notice that if local character-level formatting is
> >applied to the end of one paragraph, then the new paragraph generated by
> >pressing Enter will have the correct paragraph style applied - a
> >different one in your case - but will also inherit the same
> >character-level formatting. Is that what you are seeing? The way to test
> >this would be to select the text of the new paragraph, or part of it,
> >and then use Format | Default Formatting (or Ctrl+M) to cancel the
> >character formatting. Do you then see the effect of your new paragraph
> >style correctly?
> >
> >>If I open the styles window and double click on the ALREADY
> >>HIGHLIGHTED style name, then the proper formatting will be applied to
> >>my text.
> >
> >Oh, I don't see that either in my scenario, so perhaps - after all - it
> >doesn't explain your problem.
> >
> >>I find this extremely annoying and wonder what purpose the styles
> >>serve if not to prevent this very thing.
> >
> >No doubt I'd find it annoying too, if it were happening to me.
> >
> >I trust this helps (but fear it may not).
> >
> >Brian Barker
> >

> There is only one paragraph that has any local formatting because it
> needs some mixed bold/normal formatting on the same line which
> cannot be accomplished with the paragraph styles.

did you try Character Styles. It is not good to use hard formatting,
makes it harder to change things later

> I have created a band-aid fix.  Since all pages are the same, I
> recorded a macro to double-click each of the style names.  While it
> did save a lot of time, it could have been much simpler to use that
> macro if there were a way to leave the macro window open after using
> it instead of having to go back into the directory and trace the
> tree down again to be able to run the macro again.

you can bind a shortcut key to that macro: Tools - Customize - Keyword,
in "Category" select "OpenOffice.org Macros" and look for your macro.

Anyway, there should be a better solution for your problem.
Can you upload a test document in some public site?
If your document has private information, create one using the Dummy
Text Auto-Text.

Regards
--
Ariel Constenla-Haile