I am reviewing the records of a local shop to help him convert to Open
Office. I have found no problems with the simple Word documents that
he uses, but he is using MS Excel where he should have a real
database. We all know about efforts to teach an old dog new tricks, so
let's just be glad that he is interested in this new trick called Open
Office. He will _not_ be moving to Base or anything else, it will be
either in Excel or another spreadsheet.

In this particular case, he has information that should be in a single
row (record) divided into to rows, with the A column's cells merged
between the two and the "sorting key" stored in that cell. He now
wants to sort based on the merged cells, keeping the dual-row records
intact.

Example:
---------------------------
 1 | Some info
    | More info
---------------------------
 3 | Yet some more info
    | And more info
---------------------------
 2 | Some important info
    | More important info
---------------------------

He now needs to sort that! Does anybody know how this can be done?
Trying the regular sort function returns an error that range
containing merged cells can only be sorted without formats.

Example document here:
http://dotancohen.com/images/examples/sort-example.ods

Thanks.

--