Hi Bruce,

On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 10:07:31AM +1100, Bruce Lloyd wrote:
I created a line using  --- which worked fine but it was too close
to the preceding paragraph for me which raised two problems:

1) I could not find out how to delete it
2) if I tried to move it down the page by entering a paragraph I
ended up with two lines one in the original place and another one a
paragraph further down.

I could delete the second line by selecting it with the blank para
but was still unable to delete the original line.

Any advise please?
Ctrl + M Default Formatting() on the paragraph above the line

Or alternatively (to just get rid of the line but keep other paragraph formatting intact):

Click in the paragraph immediately above the line. (This is actually the paragraph that the line is contained in, as a bottom border.)

Go to Format > Paragraph. Click on the Borders tab.

Under Line Style, select None, then click OK.