(please do STOP sending two copies of each message. I see by myself in
the index of my email client which messages are replies to stuff I
wrote and are therefore "addressed" to me).

On Thu, Dec 15, 2011 12:27:49 PM -0800, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
> Marco,
>
> I double-checked what there is available to indicate that a post is from a
> non-subscriber: Nothing.

yes, I've known this perfectly well for years.

> I would be interested in any contributions about practices or
> conventions that would improve support for users who are not
> subscribed and send in questions.

They do not exist, for the reasons YOU just explained.

> Suggestions for technical solutions are not anything I will do
> anything about.  I would like something that would work as a
> community practice.

I would like clones of Marylin Monroe and Sofia Loren serving me
dinner every saturday.

Can't you see from YOUR OWN WORDS that if there is NO way to add
"unsubscribed-poster" markers to the messages BEFORE they reach
subscribers mailboxes (since they may come from gmane and lots other
places) the only way is:

    to compare their sender address against a subscriber list AFTER
    they have reached a subscriber mailbox?

    which is something procmail or similar tools were born to do
    AUTOMATICALLY?

Please understand that I'm not even offended, angry or anything and I'm
sure that you are a great person in general, and I mean it, but...

if you aren't interested in the completely automatic solution I posted
a few minutes ago in another reply AND you still insist on community
practices, FAQs periodically posted, footers and all other stuff that
has repeatedly failed and bored away many people in the last 9 years,
then YOU are placing yourself in the same category of guys against
which I wrote my 2010 post and consequently I see no reason why I
should keep wasting my time in this thread.

> This discussion might be better on ooo-users@ incubator.apache.org,
> of course.

if you insist on doing a real online helpdesk with a mailing list and
"community practices" instead of custom autoresponders, it will be the
same completely useless, dead-from-the-start discussion that went on
here from 2002, no matter where you discuss it. Help yourself.

Marco