On Sun, 2012-01-22 at 15:37 -0500, Michael McCracken wrote:
> Hello group,
> I have a similar problem about online updates that I saw is the users
> forum (list: org.openoffice.users) but I could not find an answer
> anywhere.  Here is the problem:
>
> "Could not establish network connection to
> update36.services.openoffice.org"
>
> I am using: OpenOffice 3.3.0
>                : Windows 7 Ultimate w/SP1
>                : Firefox 9.0.1
>                :Avira Antivirus 10.2.0.704
>                :Intel Pentium 4, 3.0GHz CPU, 2.5GB RAM
> OpenOffice.org is allowed through Windows firewall
> Cannot locate ooupdater (if there is such a file in the directories)
> There is no selection within Avira to choose what programs are
> allowed, it appears to default to Windows firewall settings.
>
> Anyone have a suggestion on how to get this to work?
>
> Thanks,
> Mike

     Since Oracle gave OOo to Apache last year, there has not been a new
version. Until that happens, there are no updates. Suggestion: turn the
autoupdate off. (Tools > Options > OpenOffice.org > Online Update.)
     Another point: Since Apache now has OOo, they have opened another
mailing list of OOo. This new mailng list is much more active than this
one has become. They will be closing down this mailing list in the
future. To subscribe to the Apache mailin list for click the following
link: ooo-users-subscr...@incubator.apache.org. It will create a new
email with only an email address. Send it as it. Soon afterwards you
will receive a confirmation email. When you get it, click Reply and
send.

--Dan