On Monday, January 23, 2012 05:22:06 PM John Jason Jordan wrote:
> <Twice I tried to send this to the new list, and both times it
> bounced. I give up on the new list.>
>
> Libreoffice 3.4.4 on Fedora 16, x86_64.
> Printer: Laserjet 4M+ (Postscript Level 2)
>
> I used OOo for many years and never had this problem until I switched
> to Libreoffice.
>
> Whenever I print to this printer I must remember to go into
> Properties> Options > Device and change the print type from PDF to
> Postscript. If I do not the text will fail to be kerned according to
> the font metrics; that is, a proportional font will be spaced as
> though it was a monospace font.
>
> All other applications print fine. There is no setting for this in the
> driver, which uses a PPD file.
>
> I looked everywhere for a setting to set it to use Postscript as the
> default, but I can't find it.
>
> It is extra work to have to change this setting all the time. And
> usually I forget to change the setting and have to print the page
> again after I realize that I forgot. This is very annoying, and it
> wastes paper, toner and electricity.
>
> I really hope someone can tell me how to change the default behavior,
> else I will have to remove Libreoffice and reinstall OOo.
You may want to ask thsi on the LibreOffice list:
        us...@global.libreoffice.org

I have  a Xerox Phaser 6120 and it is also defaulting to pdf but I never
have to change it to print from LibreOffice, and it is a postscript
level 3 printer.

Are you using CUPS for printing?
I have used this printer since 2006 on various openSUSE releases with
the original Xerox supplied ppd and/or one supplied from the
openprinting.org.

I am presenly on LibreOffice downloaded from there website. Version
LibreOffice 3.4.5 OOO340m1 (Build:502)

I have experienced no problem printing.  I just printed a copy of this
email in LibreOffice writer wit the setting at PDF, came out ok.

What version of LibreOffice are you using?  Do you have latest PPD file?

--
Russ