OOo 3.2.1 (I know!) on Win XP Pro

Please, how do I actually tell OOo what the *text* is I want in my page headers? In my page footers? Separately for left/right page headers? Separately for left/right page footers? Separately for different page styles?

My point is that I can't find anywhere that links the (text + fields + attributes) of the header/footer to the particular style. I thought that when I specify, for example, a Page Header style I'd get the chance to specify the text/fields/attributes and where (left/centre/right) I want them. But no. I'm obviously missing something fundamental. What, please?

Oh, by "attributes" I mean things like font size, font, boldness/underlined/... etc. etc

--
Harold Fuchs
London, England