Hello ,

> I'm interested in downloading your office suite product to CD. I
> have read up  on the product as much as I can comprehend on your web
> site and, of course, am  always interested in free package software
> that will safely accomplish what I  need. I recently purchased,
> through Dell, two discounted PCs which did not come  preloaded with
> many of the word processor and publishing programs I am used to
> using. I need to transfer files from MS word, MS Works, MS
> publisher, MS Excel  etal.

> My first question is twofold; will I be able to read these files
> with your  program and will I be able to create files that others
> can read with their  existing word programs?

First, Welcome to OpenOffice.Org(Oo.O).

Regarding your question, Oo.O can open MS office(MSO) files, as long as
they do not contain macros. Oo.O does not work/compatible with MS
Office macros. However, given that, it can work with other aspects of
the same. Yes, You can create MSO files in Oo.O and open on MSO
without any problem so long as they are in MSO native file formats,
viz., DOC, XLS etc. MSO cannot open or work with Oo.O files. TO get
more information on the same, refer to the migration guide at
http://documentation.openoffice.org/manuals/index.html

> Secondly, if I choose
> to install this suite on my hard  drive, will it dominate other
> programs? Third, if, in fact, I find that I do not  like the program
> for any reason, can I uninstall without corrupting other files  or
> programs?

You should not associate files with MSO extensions during
installation. Also you can safely un-install the same in case you do
not like it for any reason, which may be highly unlikely. I have been
using the same from the past 2+ years, without any problems.

> While these are obvious concerns, if I find it to be a valuable
> asset, I will  certainly spread the news to many others.

You are Welcome.
Please refer to the footers below for additional info, regarding Oo.O.
Wish you good luck.

--
Best regards,
Narayana @Vsp.IN  ;an OpenOffice.org Contributor

subscribing by sending an email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

[3] There are many questions asked and answered on the users mailing
list every day. If you find that is a lot of mail to cope with, then
you can read the messages to these lists on
http://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.openoffice.questions **or** subscribe
to the digest version of the list by emailing
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

[4] To know more of and increase your knowledge about Oo.O please
refer to http://documentation.openoffice.org/, where you have a number
of FAQ's, Guides, etc., which may have already answered your question.

The Time is now 10:42:16 AM (IST) on Friday, July 1, 2005