Roderick quotes Marty:

> On Sat, 2005-07-02 at 19:52 -0400, Marty wrote:
> > I've been trying to install version 2.0 in a dell computer with windows
> >  XP. When I downloaded it again and tried to extract the files, I lost
> >  it totally from my computer. This happened twice and I cannot find it
> >  anywhere on my computer, so thanks for your help but I'm going to go
> >  ahead and buy Microsoft Office, I know I can install that.

Marty, you can give $ to Microsoft if you wish, but
speaking for me only, I PURELY HATE giving my hard
earned cash to an incredibly rich bully.

Now to the problem:

Downloading:

I just spent an hour (using Verizon DSL) downloading
the 11 MB 1.9.113 installation file to my XP system
using Firefox.

When I was using dial-up, I had to use BitTorrent to
successfully download the OO.org installation files.

Finding lost files:

If at any stage you lose the downloaded file use the
search function from the Start menu and search for
"all files" named  OOo_1

I just did this and it found all versions of the installation
files for OOo (.zip and already extracted) that I have on
my system. You can right click the OOo_1* file and
click open the containing folder. The file name will be
highlighted.

Be sure that you get the latest OO.o version. (At this
writing, 113 is the latest.)

Extraction and Installation:

I have always had to extract all from the zip file
prior to installation. I have heard otherwise, but
that I have not been able to do so.

If you can extract the files from the zip file that you
download, then the rest of this should be successful.

The downloaded file will have a name close to this:

    OOo_1.9.113_Win32Intel_install.zip,

When you right click the zip file, then click "extract
all . . ." You will get a file named the same as the zip
file but without the extension

    OOo_1.9.113_Win32Intel_install

Inside will be a folder, named this in my case:

     SRC680_m113_native_packed-1_en-US.8930

and in that you will find the install .exe file,

     setup.exe

which you run.

Follow the instructions.

I hope this isn't so detailed as to be insulting, and I hope
it has the specifics you need. I do tend to too much detail.

I hope this helps.

David Teague,  http://cs.wcu.edu/~dbt
Advocating Free Software and Double Bass tuned in fifths
www.dennismasuzzo.com;  www.silviodallatorre.com
www.joelquarrington.com/;  For information on Red  Mitchell,
http://home.teleport.com/~mimuma/;  www.larryholloway.com