On Thu, 2005-07-14 at 02:13 -0500, Robert Shaver wrote:
> Part of acquiring facility with this technical stuff is learning the
> jargon. That is the biggest stumbling block to using any help system.
> You have to know a lot of things before the help is much help. So the
> first hurdle is knowing that the little "text box" that "pops up" when
> you "hover" over an "icon" is called a "tool tip" or "help tip" or just
> "tip" (jargon in quotes).
>
> When I'm learning a new application I like to skim through the manuals
> or help files and look for new terms, new concepts or old terms used in
> a new way. Then when I'm stumped by the app I sometimes think back and
> remember that at least I saw something about that subject somewhere in
> the docs.

That is a good idea. For other new users, Help > Contents where Contents
is the Contents tab in help provides a good introduction to OOo. For
example contents includes the following:

How to Work With OpenOffice.org Writer
Instructions for Using OpenOffice.org Writer

OpenOffice.org Writer Features

Charts in OpenOffice.org

Data Source Overview

OpenOffice.org Writer Menus, Toolbars, and Keys
Menus

Toolbars

Shortcut Keys for OpenOffice.org Writer

Help about the Help
The OpenOffice.org Help Window

Help Agent, Tips and Extended Tips

Index - Keyword Search in the Help

Find - The Full-Text Search

Managing Bookmarks

Contents - The Main Help Topics

Getting Support

Plus there is much documentation available from
http://documentation.openoffice.org/ that is not available elsewhere
such as HOW-TOs and access to documentation for Other Projects.

--
PLEASE KEEP MESSAGES ON THE LIST.
OpenOffice.org Documentation Co-Lead