On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 23:20:12 -0400, G. Roderick Singleton wrote:

>On Tue, 2005-07-26 at 23:10 -0400, GregChi wrote:
>> When I copy text from the  user_guide.pdf, & paste to notepad, I get
>> strange characters:
>> .$
>> &
>> )
>>

>> &

<snip>

>That appears to be a font that your system does not have. At least that
>is what I would guess. Why are you trying to cut and paste from a pdf
>when the source is available?
>
>> ---------------------------------
>> In a hex editor I converted this(above) text:
>> (view as fixed width font)
>> T  e  x  t     c  a  n     b  e
>> 2e 04 24 16 0d 08 26 05 0d 29 04 0d

   <snip>

>> N  o  w     t  r  y      e  n  t  e  r  i  n  g
>> 40 0a 23 0d 16 0b 25 0d  04 05 16 04 0b 07 05 0c
>>
>> What is wrong with this font set???
>
>I have not idea but then I would not work with a pdf in that manner when
>source is available.
>
>> I d/l'd this file from OOo (2)times & got the same results.
>
>Nothing wrong with the pdf but something definitely weird with you
>system. Check your fonts, get the user guide source.

Thanks ,ger...
I already HAVE the  'user_guide.sxw' .
When I try to load it on my machine, it BOGS to the point that I have
to WAIT for a response when I click to 'select' or anything
else...(maybe trying to load images??). After abt 10 minutes,it LOCKS
UP my system (Win98se, 512mb, 150mb HDs).
I DID send previously to the gmane.comp.openoffice.questions group
about this but YOU thought then as now that I had a problem with my
system (maybe i do).
What fonts did you use in the original download that I maybe don't
have???? (there may be a clue in the above 'translation'......
I really (as a new user) would like to peruse the 'user guide' to
learn the program. ( using OOo since 1.0)

>Nothing wrong with the pdf but
Geez, it must be me ( although EVERY? other  .pdf file I have on this
SAME machine works as expected.(except:
wrong character sets?

>____these are NG for copy/paste____
>user_guide.pdf   (OOo 1.1.x userguide)
>OOo-Calc-1.0.pdf
>OOo-OtherStuff-1.0.pdf
>MANUAL000004941.pdf  (Bosch/Germany coffee pot instr)
>

>____these are OK_____
>writer1_EN.pdf
>writer2_EN.pdf
>calc1_EN.pdf  thru calc6_EN.pdf
>HowToMailMrg.pdf
>HowTo_modifyOOo_context_menu.pdf
>644_roadmap.pdf
>AndrewPitonyakMacro.pdf
>817-1826.pdf
>cygwin_tortoise_cvs.pdf
>Howto_special_char.pdf
>tutorial.pdf  (StarOffice Programmer’s Tutorial)
>
>I tried with reader 5.0 (also same results).

How is my machine causing this on 'some'  .pdf's but not most????
Is there any chance the user_guide.pdf   (OOo 1.1.x userguide) has a
problem?

I wonder how many other beginners tried (& gave up) to learn  from
this beginners' manual. (It's supposed to help you learn the program,
isn't it?)

--
  Greg   Agent 1.93/32.576  Opera8   OOo 2(19104)
news.readfreenews.net & news.gmane.org      Win98se