Hey!

Thanks for your quick advice.
Unfortunately, that did not seem to work.
First, when I tried to open my files I could choose a program, but OOo was only available "in total", there's no choice between its components like spreadsheet or writer etc.
After choosing OOo the described problem occurred.
Having tried that the files now are connected with OOo writer and the file format is only visible when right-clicking the filename and checking the properties.
So renaming doesn't change anything.
Where would I find the file typelist you're talking about?

However, now things have gone from better to worse:
OOo doesn't work anymore!!!
When trying to open any component, document whatever the following message is displayed and OOo ceases to open:

*OOo cannot be started due to an error in accessing the OpenOffice.org configuration data.
The following internal error has occurred: GetStorage, name: "No Content!
*
Could you please try to help me out?!
Thank you very much!

Ciao
Jens

PS: Erasing and re-installing OOo would be no major problem for me, if that'd turn out to be the fastest way!