The issue of blank fields in mail merges has been raised several times in issuezilla since version 1.0.3, but it keeps getting reclassified as an enhancement. I have to disagree that this is an enhancement. The functionality of a properly working and usable mail merge is an essential component of an office suite. I know that funds are tight and developers are overworked, but this has got to be seen to.

Luckily for you Mike, you can program in perl and get a properly formatted address list that way. Your example does show, however, some of the extraordinary steps that someone sometimes has to take to get a working mail merge with OpenOffice.

At the very least, the help screens should describe in detail how to set up the suppression of blank fields. Back when I was first learning to suppress blank fields in OpenOffice mail merges, I found that the help left out a whole lot of the steps and layers of nuance necessary to get the mail merge to work properly.