On Monday 08 August 2005 03:01 pm, Sue Hartman wrote:
> I've downloaded open office org. 1.1.4. Now the icons for all of my
> MS Word and MS Excel documents have been changed to the icon for
> OpenOffice.org. Also, when trying to open MS Word documents that are
> on my desktop, Word can no longer find the document no matter how
> many times I re-create the document on the desktop (save as-send to
> "desktop"). What am I doing incorrectly?
>
> Also, when opening a document created in Excel, the formulae do not
> display a result.
>
> So far, I'm  very pleased with the word processsor and am really
> hoping that the whole suite will eventually work for me.
>
> Thank you in advance.
>
> Sue Hartman
> Washington, PA

    If you are using a version of windows, do a search for
setup_guide.pdf. Page 27 of that file contains an explanation on how to
set or reset file associations. Please follow the directions on that
page to make your changes. (This requires Acrobat Reader to open this
*.pdf file.)
     As far as the Excel files, formulas in Excel are slightly different
from those in Calc (OOo's spreadsheet). That is why your formulas do
not display the results. If you check Help on the specific formulas in
your spreadsheet, you should find a way to make the modifications
needed to make the formulas work in OOo. If not, please ask for help
with the specific formulas in the Excel file.

Dan