I haven't downloaded from the Real OOo site.  I've installed a .rpm on SuSE
and a .deb for Kubuntu.  Both SuSE and Kubuntu installations are using OOo
v1.1.3, but I expect it is unlikely that both groups have modified the
source in the same way, to evoke the same problem.

I was expecting to hear that the problem has something to do with my
installation, or some desktop setting.  I'm not using SuSE any more
(because of other problems, in addition to this), but the Kubuntu
installation is using "X.Org version: 6.8.2" and my screen resolution has
been set at 1600x1200 under both distros (21.3" LCD screen, nice!).  I can
use the Ctrl-Alt-+ key to cycle through my available resolutions, yet the
problem doesn't go away, so I don't really think it's that.

Tom