On Sunday 28 August 2005 03:24 pm, Pete Holsberg wrote:
> Jonathon Blake wrote:
> >On 8/27/05, Corne Botha  wrote:
> >>possible for me to install OpenOffice on the practice's pc, and then open
> >> the Access 2000 database in it?  If so, how will it work?
> >
> >  My suggestion would be convert it to a MySQL or SQLite database for
> >them, and migrate everything to OOo.
>
> Can you do that if you don't have Access?

I don't know but I strongly suspect not. I do know that if it can be done the
skills one would are high enough that if you are asking the question that
says you do not possess these skills. I know I tried ask; I tried it and I
got negative results.

The issue is much the same as the issue with Adobe. The data is encrypted and
compressed. The problem comes about in that in practice there are a million
ways of doing this. The technical problem is to figure out which one and how
it is being done for that program which takes you directly into the legal one
of DMCA and all that muck which then translates into if one knows they are
not going to tell. If one knows and tells then the are back to DeCSS issue
especially in the US.

What you have to do is use Access to convert the data to test and then load
the text into MySQL, Postgress, or DB4. Postgress and MySQL roughly have the
same issue with drivers and loading in OO. Hard and difficult if you are not
familiar with the process. DB4 is much easer to set up, in OO at least.
Postgress and MySQL may be set up for multi users, in OO. DB4 is easy to set
up for sengual user. I am not aware of DB having multi user capabilities in
an OO setup.