To: <users@openoffice.org>
Sent: Sunday, September 04, 2005 6:10 AM
Subject: [users] Re: Using a pdf file as a template - help

Dale Erwin wrote:
Daniel wrote:

CPHennessy wrote:

On Wednesday 31 August 2005 01:28, + matt cutler wrote:

[ MODERATED ] ***********************
hi i'm a new user to OOo but really love it!

here is my problem loads of job applications and other
forms are now as pdf files for download on the web.
My handwriting is shocking! I'd really like to be edit
these pdf.  I understand that pdf is a postscript file
and can't be edited as such but all i'd like to do is
use the layout of the pdf as a template or layer to be
able to type things into the spaces on the form.  Some
pdf's allow this through acrobat reader but only when
the author puts this in and many of these forms don't
have this.  Is there anyway i can open pdf in draw and
then put text over the form and then print it out/send
as email

Not that I know of. However the gimp can open pdfs as drawings I think http://gimp.org

Please reply to users@openoffice.org only

Another idea which I use (not original to me) is to save the PDF page as a graphic (a feature of Adobe Reader), use the resulting graphic as an image filling the page, then adding text boxes for input where they are needed.

I use this regularly for insurance forms.

Perhaps this will help.

Daniel

Interesting...

On my machine (admittedly I am using Acrobat 5.1), I have a SaveAs
option, but I get the message:

"This document does not allow you to save changes you have made
unless you use the full version of Acrobat."

I'm using Acrobat version 7, and under the Tools menu there is a Snapshot tool. That produces the graphic.

Daniel