On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 20:31:14 -0700, James E. Lang wrote:

> I guess I'm blind. I don't see installation instructions for installing
> beta2.
> The readme documentation says that this version can be installed along side
> of
> an earlier version and it lists the system requirements but it does not say
> what to do with the unpacked tarball.

This is how I did it with Suse 9.2 when I realised Suse put the
application in different directories.

Step A Getting rid of the suse installation - you only have to do this
once

 1      Go into Yast - Install software.

2       Search for openoffice.  As you know, 1.9.79 will come up, with a lock.

3       Right click on each of the locked files, and then on delete.  Finally
click on Accept, and let yast get rid of the installation of 1.9.79.

I follow Step B and C for new builds of openoffice
Step B Extraction

1       Use konqueror (if you are on kde, I don't know anything about gnome) to
go to the directory where you downloaded the tar file.  Right click on the
tar file and Open with ark.  Use ark to extract the tar file.

2       You should end up with a subdirectory full of rpms, and one of desktop
integration. Copy the suse menus rpm into the main rpm directory.

Step C Installation with Yast

1       Open yast. Click on Change Source of Installation.  Add the directory
where the rpms have been extracted as an installation source, and go
through the prompts until you come back to the yast main screen.

2       In the yast main screen, click on install software. Put in openoffice,
and it should pick up the new openoffice version.  Click on each of the
files you want to install.  They will all be labelled 1.9.126 or whatever
version number you are installing.  Be careful not to try and install any
of the previous version you have already deleted.

3       Click on accept, and the new version will be installed in the standard
/opt/ hierarchy.

For future installations, you do not have to delete the previous one.
Simply mark the new one for 'update' with the right click menu at step 2.

--

John

[EMAIL PROTECTED]