On 12 Sep 2005 at 17:55, Dan Lewis wrote:
>      Part of the problem may be that most people do not read the setup
> guide first. As I pointed out above, page 27 in the 1.1.4 setup guide
> discusses this issue as well as tells how to solve the problem. Is
> there something that you would like to change on that page?

But if people *won't* read the setup guide, how would this help?

It's obviously a problem for some, so wouldn't it best to put a warning
during installation in inch high, flashing red letters about this
particular choice?  And have the default to leave file associations
alone. (And make sure there are entries in the help files to help put
things back if needed.)  Mind you, I strongly suspect even then some
will just click through, and complain that clicking on an msoffice file
doesn't start OOo. :-)
--
various incoming sites blocked because of spam; see
http://www.scottsonline.org.uk for a list and openpgp crypto key