John,
You are partially correct. The printing problems with OOo tend to be the result of incorrectly implementing the printer driver APIs in many cases, or so I've been told by the developers in response to filed issues. I have encountered and written up numerous problems, the most exciting of which was printing to a Xerox 860DP which modified many of the properties of the document and automatically saved the modified version.

Doug

john geldman wrote:
Unfortunetly, I think you hit it when you said "simple" text editors. Try printing a pdf (the adobe reader is free). For instance save one
of your OOo documents as a pdf, and print that pdf from adobe.

Most of the printing heavy lifting is in the printer driver, not
applications like OOo.

Of course, I could be wrong. But this test will help divide & conquer.

Good luck