G. Roderick Singleton wrote:

If you save in a foreign, proprietary format for which there is no API
please explain how OOo should export its security features. I think this
is neither a possible nor reasonable expectation. OOo docs, protected
with digital signatures and encrypted seem very safe to me.

Nor the password protection is exported, nor the macro-code...
And if using the macro-code is essential for benefiting a spreadsheet, password protection of the library indeed ìs an effective protection.

Which what digital signing is supposed to do. Doesn't it?

I've read through the information reg. digital signatures in the (ever growing ;-) user guide (compliments). And the specs at spec.openoffice.org for this item.

So a digital signature makes traceble who edited a certain document, that the document is indeed from the person it should be, etc. However this is not the same as allowing someone to use a spreadsheet, and at the same time preventing him/her access to all the contents of the document. Password-protection of a workbook and hiding sheets looked fine...however: the hidden contents is just there in the unzipped XML-file ánd the password disapears on a SaveAs to .xls. Encripting a document is very secure, however does not allow the use of the document ;-)

So the solution I've found for a Calc-document: put some vital functions/data in a encrypted macro. The document is usable, whereas the 'intelligence' is hidden.

Greetings,

Cor

NB I see I've mixed up two threads on this subject
  -  [users] How do I password protect my OpenOffice documents?
  -  [users] document protection
so I cross-post this - probably final - contribution to this subject.

--
Cor Nouws
http://www.nouenoff.nl