Several points.

First, OOo 2.0 is a pre-release beta and unless you have specific
needs that only 2.0 can meet, stick with the current release of OOo.

If you have troubles with X-11 and developer tools on OS X, then
perhaps OOo is not the right tool for you and NeoOffice/J would
be a better choice. I have and use both. They are very close and
file interchangeability between them is not an issue at all as far
as I can tell.

NeoOffice/J is more Mac like and that is generally good. However,
I do notice that it takes several seconds for an open or save dialog
 to open under NeoOffice/J whereas OOo does not have this lag.
This is on an eMac 1.25 Ghz G4 with 1/2 Gig memory.
Also the printing process is a bit different between the two
programs, though easily adapted to whichever you prefer.

Ross Bernheim