That is strange since OOo does offer a dictionary and built in spell
checker. To start with can you post the version of OOo that you are
using (I'm assuming a windows OS). Next the language that you want the
dictionary in and what your language settings are under tools>options>
language...

People will be able to assist once this is known... Please ensure that
you reply to the list only...

/paul