[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote in news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]:

> Questions:
> --Is open office BASE capable of being programmed to do these things?

Probably. You should ask, though, on the database user lists, where you
will get better informed help than here -- and where several of the
programme developers hang out. They are reached through
http://dba.openoffice.org/servlets/ProjectMailingListList

> --Are there enough Help Screens/Wizards/other instructional aides that
> someone who has been preparing databases and spreadsheets for the past
> 20 years can successfully prepare such a system?

There should be, but it's hard to be certain. There will almost certainly
be less comprehensive and fewer, than there are in Access.

> --Can the master db reside in a shared folder on a MS Home LAN
> hardwired between our two office computers running Windows XP; and be
> updated from either machine?  Can the db and associated routines, be
> easily up/down loaded to/from the laptop for those infrequent times
> when we shut down the office, hit the road in our R-V, and by means of
> a cell phone, voice mail, and E-mail, continue to accept calls and
> take reservations, even though we are away from our office?

This bit sounds complicated, from a position of ignorance. I think it's
possible, but, again I would ask on the db list

> Finally, can a routine be written which will prompt a 'data back-up'
> on a regular basis?

Yes

> If the answer to these questions are YES, then we are ready to change
> to BASE.  And do you have any kind of customer support for when we get
> stuck trying to format the reports, and the input screens, and the
> links between the multiple sub-db and the master db?

Not formally. There are mailing lists like this one, which can sometimes
be very helpful, and sometimes are overwhelmed. You may find that the db
list is one of the very helpful ones. I have always been really impressed
by the speed and friendliness of the people there. But you might find it
more worthwhile to pay Sun for Star Office, which does come with support.

--
Andrew Brown
The email in the header does not work.