On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 07:17:52 +0800
"CA  Ewe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> hey
>
> I have been using lotus approach ( database ) for a long time ( about
> 15 years ) and I was recently introduced to OpenOffice Base which I
> find it interesting. However, my main problem is I do not know how to
> use the database filed under lotus approach ( *.dbf)
>
> pls assist
>
> thanks
>
> ewe
> penang, malaysia

Lotus Approach uses the dBase format (.dbf) for its files, so if they
are just flat non-relational databases you will be fine as Open Office
will read them.

However, Lotus did some modifications to the format to allow for
relational databases which are not part of the dBase standard. So if
you have linking of tables these will not be preserved in OpenOffice.

In this case I would imagine that it should be straight forward to
import the tables into Open Office but then you would have to re-define
the relationships between the tables. I haven't played around with Base
yet so I don't know how easy or hard this is to do.

Also, any forms, reports and macros will have to be re-created in Open
Office.

--
God bless you,

Keith Bates