Rodney D. Myers wrote:
On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 08:35:55 -0400
"G. Roderick Singleton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Sat, 2005-10-22 at 18:15 -0700, Rodney D. Myers wrote:

On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 11:14:17 -0500
John Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On 2005-10-22, Rodney D. Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Yes I know alien works, but.............

with the original installer, the user had control as to where
OO was installed. Now I have to rely on where the brain-dead
RPM wants to install the program, leaving me out of the loop.
It goes where it wants to , not where I want it to go.

Don't the "--prefix" or "--relocate" switches work for you? Check
"man rpm"

why should I downgrade to RPM's when the previous installer work
wonderfully, allowing the placement where "I" choose in the
directory "I" choose.
Not the packager.

HUH?  You can do this using rpms. I do not understand the problem.
Installing to another location is covered in http://documentation.openoffice.org/setup_guide2/2.x/en/SETUP_GUIDE.pdf
and even shows how to use other tools. Try it. Just because it was not
included in the download image should preclude you from getting it and
making use of any of the methods described therein.

The problem? 1.4 installer - where do you want to install the program
user - /opt (or whever - could be /home)
1.4 installer - what directory do you want to install this into
user - OpenOffice
1.4 installer - no directory by that name. shall I create it?
user - yes

The problem with the current use of RPM's, I have no control over the
exact location to install OO.

I choose /opt, but I want the directory to be called what I want it to
be called, not what the rpm package maintainer wants it to be called.

I'm sorry, but I've just had enough. Untold thousands of programmer man-hours have been invested to provide you -- free of charge and free of licensing restrictions -- a very high quality office suite that is perfectly usable on your Linux system.

And you want to whine about little friggin' details like that???!!!

Get a life already.