On Thu, 2005-10-27 at 19:28 +0100, Brian E. Blandford wrote:
> Through my own stupidity I've managed to turn a minor irritation into a
> major disaster!
>
> I've been following the "OO 2.0 - Error Message"  thread as I shared the
> same problem. I picked up from it the suggestion that an answer might be
> to un-install and then reinstall. The log of the disaster that brought
> on me runs like this:
>
>    1. On my PCLinuxOS OOo2.0 was installed in /opt. I used the Krusader
>       File-manager in Root mode (first mistake - I should have used File
>       manager super-user mode) and deleted the folder.
>    2. Message flashed up saying there were some files left in OOo
>       folder, did I want to delete these? There didn't seem to be any
>       dire warnings associated, so  I clicked "yes". That was the second
>       (and extremely major) mistake.
>    3. I then attempted to reinstall 2.0 from the un-packed folder from
>       the Konsole . Everything seemed to go OK, except that when it
>       finished it had a list of files that it said were already
>       installed, which puzzled me.
>    4. I then attempted to find where the program was, but without success.
>    5. I then saw that Synaptic had included 2.0 in its latest
>       depository, so I thought I would try to install it again from there.
>    6. There seemed no problem with the installation process, however, I
>       still could not find the program anywhere, in spite of a file
>       search. Not only that, but OOo 1.1.5 had also disappeared
>       (presumably because Synaptic was supposedly upgrading it to 2.0)
>    7. A file search revealed that /opt now does indeed now have
>       openoffice.org2.0, and that contains the directory "program", but
>       when that is opened, all that is there is intro.bmp, presumably
>       the flash screen, and absolutely nothing else. There is also a
>       hidden file in the home directory,
>       /.openoffice.org2/user/registry/data/org/openoffice. The only
>       other 2.0 items I can find are the original tar.gz download, and
>       the unpacked directory. There are various things from 1.1.4
>       (thankfully I still have that in a separate folder, so I can at
>       least use OOo, (though not of course from files saved in the new
>       format). There are also odd bits an pieces from the old 1.1.9
>       betas (though don't know which one or more of them - they'd all
>       been deleted as far as I knew)
>
> It's plain to me I've made some fundamental errors: who can rescue me?????
>

> Brian B.

GOOD GRIEF! Let's see if we can rescue you.
     1. rpm -qa openoffice.org\* | xargs rpm -e
     2. rm -rf $HOME/.openoffice* (removes anything left over from beta)
     3. Double check what is in /usr/lib labelled openoffice*
     4. Hopefully you have a clean system now wrt openoffice.org
     5. Download 2.0, as needed, from www.openoffice.org (FINAL)
     6. unpack and install using whatever method you need (See setup
        guide for 2.0 which is on-line)
     7. download and install 1.1.5 as you want
     8. If you have root on your box, make certain that your personal
        account has write perms for whereever either OOo got installed.
        The reason for this is to ensure that you can use the wizards to
        install dictionaries and fonts for universal use.
     9. Start OOo from your menu or from the commandline
    10. Install fonts and dictionaries
    11. Remove write perms for you personal account from main OOo

Review the above steps carefully and apply them as you see fit. No
guarantees.
--
PLEASE KEEP MESSAGES ON THE LIST.
OpenOffice.org Documentation Co-Lead