Hi Peter,
What's your screen resolution and windows text size. I usually find that when dialogue boxes are warped, it's because the screen font has been made larger and the resolution is low. The software should scale the box so the font fits, but it could be that you have a non-standard display setup that was never tested by the developers. I have no problems with the recovery in Win98, Win2k or XP. I've lead a fairly good life, so I haven't had to be punished by being forced to use ME. :-)
tc

Peter Belmont wrote:

The Document Recovery screen (OpenOffice 2.0, on Windows (ME))
shows no command buttons (they are off the bottom of the screen) and also shows no scrolling-bar. Therefore, apparently, there is no easy way to recover from [whatever the problem is] and one must UnInstall and then ReInstall OpenOffice 2.0 to clear the problem.

This should be fixed, because it makes OpenOffice 2.0 for all practical purposes un-usable (at least to those, like me, who seem often to get into trouble).

This means (a) better programs and/or (b) better screen design and/or (c) better on-screen documentation. This should not be hard to do!