Blame it on the Mozilla group. Their startup scripts assume that if you start it when one instance already exists, that you must want to invoke a new session (profile), rather than manipulate the current running session, as you, and most other people, would want.

Since Mozilla hasn't done it right, we have to. Thus the need to have an oo-thunderbird wrapper. It can be done simple enough.

#!/bin/sh

thunderbird=/path/to/thunderbird

${thunderbird} -remote 'ping()'
if [ ${?} -eq 0 ]; then
   ${thunderbird}-remote "xfeDoCommand(composeMessage, ${2})"
else
   ${thunderbird} [EMAIL PROTECTED]
fi

Brian Carey wrote:

Where should I put the script, and what do I call it? This is not a general problem on my system, as only OpenOffice fails to notice when tbird is already running.

OO works correctly with kmail and mozilla. Tbird works correctly from eg. the console.

Is the file-name in your example significant?

Thanks,
Brian

Matthew Stier wrote:

You need to create a, or modify your, Thunderbird startup script to change:

<thunderbird> -compose attachment=file:///var/tmp/svga3.tmp/noname2.odt

into

<thunderbird> -remote 'xfeDoCommand(composeMessage,attachment=file:///var/tmp/svga3.tmp/noname2.odt)'

if an already running version of Thunderbird exists.

Brian Carey wrote:

2.0 on slackware (rpm2tgz worked quite nicely ;)

I have selected thunderbird as my email client. When I try to send a mail via File->Send->email attachment everything works fine if tbird is not already running. If it is running I get the "select a different profile" dialog from thunderbird, which of course I don't want to do.

Thanks in advance for any help,
Brian

sending email attachment from writer tries to open new instance of thunderbird