On Sun, Oct 23, 2005 at 05:56:42PM -0700, Bruce Byfield wrote:

> > Ah ha. Debian. I am not certain that OOo will run with GCJ. Please ask
> > on [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> No, it won't. GCJ is not a complete replacement for Java. To use it with
> OOo requires special patches and building OOo so that the Java code is
> replaced by assembler code.
>
> Both Fedora Core 4 and the Debian experimental repository have developer
> builds compiled with GCJ, and presumably will soon have 2.0 versions
> compiled with it.
>
> To judge from the developer builds, the result is Java-based features
> that work, but are very slow. But at least they're free.

        That sheds some light on it.  Some 2.0 packages have appeared on
Debian Unstable, so I did an update/upgrade on my test drive tonight.  It
came out thoroughly busted.  Well, I can't say I wasn't warned.  Sid breaks
things.  I think I'll just give Debian some more time to sort this out.
It's not as if I didn't have plenty of things to occupy my time meanwhile.