Two solutions:
1. Ask your son to send it to you again in a format you can use.  He can use
the "Save As" feature and save it in any number of formats, including Word
and RTF.
2. Download and install OpenOffice version 2.0 yourself from
www.openoffice.org.  I enthusiastically encourage this option, at least for
a trial.

Jim White