On Nov 3, 2005, at 9:39, Matej Cepl wrote:

Cathy Fynn wrote:
My son has sent me his essay for me to review. It an .odt file. I'm
running Word on a Mac OSX and I can't open it. I've tried every
application I have, but no luck. Any suggestions?

There are two possible ways:

a) Download OpenOffice.org from http://www.openoffice.org (only if you have really fast internet connection -- it's around 70MB of data) and install
it.
b) ask your son to do File/Export as PDF and then send you PDF which works
flawlessly on Mac.

Matej

c) Have him do a save as into one of the Microsoft Word formats that OOo can
save to and have him send that file which can then be opened and read on
the Mac with MS Word as well as edited and saved and sent to the son who
can then open it again in OOo and do any changes he wants and save it out
to either OOo's native format or back to the Word format. RTF is another
format that both programs can read and write to.

I have a bit of the reverse problem at work where my boss uses MS Word on his Winows XP box and I use OOo and NeoOffice/J on the Mac under OS X 10.3. I have no problems using either the Word or RTF formats to exchange documents. There are minor problems when he tries to do things beyond clever with Word or uses odd fonts that I don't have a similar enough or the same one on the Mac so
that the formatting is off a bit.

Ross Bernheim

As Dorothy Parker said, "If you can't say anything nice about anybody, come
 over here and sit by me."